Welcome to Second Grade
Welcome to second grade at St. Madeleine Sophie School! My name is Mrs. Jennifer Kordziel and I am the second grade teacher ☺ I am so thankful that you have chosen to share your child with us! Here are some things that you should know about our class:
- Second graders are “bucket fillers”. A bucket filler is someone who is kind, respectful, who makes good choices, who follows the rules, and who cares for others. The children work hard to be bucket fillers each day and enjoy filling other people’s buckets too!
- Second grade is such a special year where the children may receive two Sacraments – the Sacrament of Reconciliation and First Communion.
- Homework is generally assigned each night Monday – Thursday. It will typically be in Math, Reading, and Spelling. Homework is a way of reinforcing the skills learned at school each day and is also a way of building responsible students.
- Second grade is a year for building more independent students. They are responsible for unpacking their own backpacks, gathering the books needed for the day, and writing their own homework assignments each afternoon.
- Children need a healthy snack each day – even on half days. It is a long morning and some healthy nourishment helps them get to lunchtime at noon a little easier.
We are going to have a fun, faith-filled, full of learning year!